So, I finished Neon Genesis Evangelion for the 3rd or 4th time last night and I feel fucked up as usual. What a masterpiece. I really liked the ending, the last 2 episodes are just brilliant and I thought it was a very brave decision to do them the way the director did. However in Japan, when the series finished the director Hideaki Anno received death threats, but the cool thing is that he included those letters in the End of Evangelion, which is the movie that he made to end it properly. It’s very interesting that Evangelion starts off as your typical action mecha anime, but halfway through it takes a turn to a psychologically complicated piece of art. I love it.
I’ve also watched Death & Rebirth, which sums up the entire series and also includes 1/3 of the final movie; End Of Evangelion, which is the ultimate conclusion to the Evangelion saga.
This is my first time watching the show on DVD and I’m so happy I bought the platinum edition. Here’s a quick comparison between the new remastered platinum version and the old ADV one:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Japanese: 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン Romaji: Shinseiki Evangerion, Shinseiki Evangelion) is an anime series, begun in 1995, directed and written by Hideaki Anno, and produced by Gainax. It takes place in 2015 AD, fourteen years after the catastrophic Second Impact, reportedly caused by a meteor strike, which wiped out two-thirds of Earth’s population and tilted its axis. Just as humanity finished its recovery from this disaster, Tokyo-3 began being attacked by strange monsters referred to as Angels. Conventional weapons are useless against the Angels, and the only known defense against them are the biomechanical mechas created by the paramilitary organization NERV, the Evangelions (Evas).
Although the series starts as a regular mecha anime, the focus tends to shift from action to flashbacks and analyses of the primary characters, particularly the main character Shinji Ikari. Anno suffered from a long depression prior to creating Evangelion; much of the show is based on his own experiences in dealing with depression and in psychoanalytic theory he learned from his psychotherapy. As a result, characters in the anime display a variety of mood disorders and problems with emotional health, especially depression, trauma and separation anxiety disorder.
Found some interesting quotes. First on Evangelion, the series itself:
If it’s true that it has become popular in many countries, then it means that the whole world feels the same disease of the soul. This isn’t something we should be happy about.
- Yoshiyuki Sadamoto on Eva’s International Appeal - Animerica Vol.6 No.8
Evangelion is my life and I have put everything I know into this work. This is my entire life. My life itself.
- Hideaki Anno -translation from 11/96 Newtype in Protoculture Addicts #43
Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we’re offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the ‘all-about Eva’ manuals, but there is no such thing. Don’t expect to get answers by someone. Don’t expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers.
- Anno Hideaki -PA #43, translated by Miyako Graham from 11/96 Newtype
And from the show itself:
If a hedgehog wants to give his warmth to other hedgehogs, the closer he approaches, the more they injure each other. It’s the same with some people. Because he is frightened by the aches in his heart, he now seems so cowardly.
The hedgehog’s dilemma… The nearer we get, the deeper we hurt each other…
I really liked that quote. I actually wrote an essay in English a little over a year ago called The Hedgehog’s Dilemma.
You only think you understand. People cannot perfectly understand each other. They can’t even understand themselves. Understanding a hundred percent of anything is impossible. So, people endeavour to attempt to learn about themselves and others. That’s what makes life interesting.
Kaworu Nagisa: You know pain is something man must endure in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily some believe life is pain. You are delicate like glass, especially your heart.
Shinji Ikari: I am?
Kaworu Nagisa: Yes and worth earning my empathy.
Shinji Ikari: Empathy?
Kaworu Nagisa: I’m saying I love you.
From Wikipedia about the deeper meanings of the show:
According to Hideaki Anno, Evangelion was an attempt to make all perspectives into one, creating characters that represent different things to different viewers to make it impossible for everyone to arrive at a single theory. To some viewers, the characters are psychological representations, while to others, they are philosophical, religious or even historical.
In the U.S., one of the most popular theories is that Rei, Asuka, Shinji and Misato represent the different methods people use to validate their own existence and individuality, and to separate themselves from their fellow human beings (analogous to the concept of AT-Fields). The characters’ personalities reflect their tactics, and their interactions reveal the nature of each in respect to each other.
While Shinji, Rei, and Asuka arguably represent the Ego, Superego and Id respectively, these are not the only things the characters represent in the series. Rei and Asuka’s last names come from Japanese and American ships from the Second World War, and Asuka is the name of a mother-ship in Japan’s modern Self-Defense Force. Additionally, Ikari and kaji mean “anchor” and “helm” in Japanese. Director Anno was also influenced by Ryu Murakami(村上龍)’s novel called Fascism of Love and Illusion(愛と幻想のファシズム), and names such as Aida, Suzuhara, Ryoji, etc, are from this work of fiction about war based on Toji Ishihara, a military officer in Imperial Japan.
The Magi Supercomputers (revealed in the series to contain aspects of their creator, Dr. Naoko Akagi’s mind) have also been seen by fans as representing the Freudian psyche, namely Mother/Balthasar Ego, Scientist/Melchior superego, and Woman/Caspar Id. This is furthered with them representing these respective aspects and the creator of the Magi Supercomputers.
Other interpretations include:
* Rei and Asuka represent the Freudian Thanatos and Eros drives in Shinji’s psyche, Shinji himself represents the Destrudo.
* Shinji, Rei, and Asuka represent the Japanese gods Susanoo, Amaterasu, and Ama-no-Uzume.
* Shinji, Rei, and Asuka are respective archetypes of three personality disorders: avoidant (cluster C), schizoid (cluster A), and narcissistic (cluster B).
* Rei, Shinji, and Asuka represent Søren Kierkegaard’s three categories of despair.*
* The five children (Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Toji, and Kaworu) represent the Kübler-Ross model’s five stages of mortality acceptance: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.
* Kaworu, Yui, and Rei represent the three parts of the Christian Trinity, although the same can be said of the Gendo, Shinji, and Rei trio.
* Shinji and Asuka represent Orient and Occident.
* Ritsuko and Misato represent the Antagonism of intellect and emotion.
* Keel Lorenz, the head of SEELE, was thought to represent the Wandering Jew who desired death after living for so long. This was also mentioned in the voice director’s comments on DVD in the movie Death and Rebirth.
* Toji and Kensuke represent pacifism and militarism, respectively.
* Toji and Kensuke are a parody of Harry S. Truman and Douglas MacArthur, respectively.
*Yay, he’s Danish :-P
I LOVE Evangelion. It’s simply the best anime series I’ve seen or any TV show for that matter. The only thing I can see surpassing this in my book, would be if Hideaki Anno decided to do a new season, which will not happen.
Here’s the best Evangelion music video I’ve seen so far and it includes footage from the 26 episodes series and the movie End of Evangelion:
And here’s a trailer for the series:
大谷 育江さん（おおたに いくえ、1965年8月18日 - ）は女優、声優。マウスプロモーション所属。東京都出身。
I’m sure you’re excited about Rebuild of Evangelion, the 4-part movie. It won’t be a remake but a complete new re-telling of NGE. IT will also have a new ending because the third movie will take place of “EOE” and eps 25-26. And the 4th movie will take place after. And yes it will be written/directed by the man himself, Hideaki Anno.
1) Do you know what song the music video used?
2) Evangelion is truly a masterpiece. It, however, is also criticized for falsely pronouncing religion (Christianity), as well as faking wisdom and human logic. What do you believe?
3) Why is the title of your blog “Orange Days” while almost everything on this web blog is non-orange?Dennis:
1) Nightwish - Ever Dream
2) If you’re referring to the fact that there are quite a few theories about the show out there, that are ready to call Evangelion the key to all of life’s mysteries and life itself, then I’d say that some fans look way too much into minor details, which shouldn’t be given that much attention.
3) It had the whole orange theme going about a year ago, but I eventually became tired of it. And “orange” is a color that makes me happy. So this blog is basically a place to collect all the things that I find cool and experience and went with an abstract over literal interpretation when I came up with the name.
Hope that helped. :-)Kerii-chan:
Ummmmm, are you sure that music viedo isn’t just a complete rip off? Because the exact same footage is used in a video that uses the full version of the opening song, and it matches perfectly there. Here it looks like someone just took that video and put new music to it without changing a thing. Look
on youtube, check it out….
But otherwise, amazing essay/blog thing ^^ I loved it, completely and totally XDDDgwern:
> * Keel Lorenz, the head of SEELE, was thought to represent the Wandering Jew who desired death after living for so long. This was also mentioned in the voice director’s comments on DVD in the movie Death and Rebirth.
Which is why some fans call it the ‘Commentary of Evil’. Just because they did the voice-over doesn’t they know squat.
For example, if Keele is the Wandering Jew why does he have the name of a German biologist? Why is he visibly more youthful and less aged in a old photo shown in the flashback episodes? Why does he have all sorts of cyborg parts when he liquefies in EoE, if he’s an immortal damned Jew?ImpartVap:
try this top online online casino bonus.